Uehlein Family History
By Mary Lou Traffis Mltraffis@aol.com
Revised January 10, 2000 PRIVATE
edited by Mike Reilly (Note:Covers the Uehlein Family in Ohio and surrounding states)
The earliest record of the Ühlein family that has beenfound was of Johann Phillip Ühlein. He was born in Trennfurt am Main, Germany in 1688. Hedied in 1759 in Trennfurt am Main, Germany, at the age of 71. He married a woman by thename of Elisabeth. I have not located her maiden name, when she was born or when she died.Johann Phillip and Elisabeth had eight children. All of the children were born inTrennfurt am Main, Germany.
Magdalena Ühlein born in 1718
Johann Anton Ühlein born in 1721
Ursula Ühlein born in 1722
Johannes Ühlein born in 1723
Barbara Ühlein born in 1724
Maria Barbara Ühlein born in 1725
Johann Michael Ühlein born in 1727
Maria Elisabeth Ühlein born in 1730
Our family line comes from the seventh child, Johann Michael Ühlein. Ihave not located any other information regarding the other children except for theirlisted birth years.
Johann Michael Ühlein was born in Trennfurt am Main, Germany in 1727.His wife was Maria Eva Raubs. (Note: (not “Rambs”). She was born in 1734. Theywere married on February 5, 1753. Johann Michael was 26 years old and Maria Eva was 19years old when they married.
It was listed in German documents researched that Johann MichaelÜhlein occupation in the years of 1759 and 1762 was that of a Boatman. This would havebeen when he was between the ages of 32 and 35 years old. In 1786, at the age of 59, hebecame the Innkeeper of the “Zur Krone” hotel. A year later, in 1787 he becamethe Owner of the “Zur Krone”. “Zur Krone” translated to English means”The Crown”.
Johann Michael Ühlein died in 1801, at the age of 74 years. Maria EvaRaubs Ühlein died in 1812, at the age of 78 years.
Johann Michael Uehlein and Maria Eva Raubs Uehlein had nine children.All the children were born in Trennfurt am Main, Germany.
Magdalena Ühlein born in 1754
Johann Vollmar Ühlein born in 1755
Elisabeth Ühlein born in 1758
Johann Michael Ühlein born in 1762
Georg C. Ühlein born in 1762
Georg Ühlein born in 1764
Johann Georg Ühlein born in 1768
Eva Ühlein born in 1771
Josef Ühlein born in 1774
Johann Georg Uehlein was where our family line comes from and JosefUihlein was where the family of the “Schlitz Brewing” Dynasty of Milwaukee,Wisconsin comes from. I have information on both of these children, but only the birthyears of the other seven children.
I will briefly outline Josef Ühlein and his descendants. For moredetail on this family, see the chapter “The “Uihlein Family History Which MadeMilwaukee Famous”. It is dedicated to the life of Josef and his descendants. Thischapter also has articles on the Schlitz Brewery.
Josef Ühlein was born on January 7, 1774 in Trennfurt, Germany. Hisoccupation was that of an Innkeeper at the Zur Krone Hotel. He lived at house number 37.Josef married Anna Maria Wengerter in January 1801 in Röllfeld, Germany. Anna Maria wasborn in Röllfeld in 1776.
Josef Ühlein and Anna Maria had ten children. All the children wereborn in Trennfurt am Main, Germany.
Waldemar Josef Ühlein lived 1801-1806 5 yearsold
Anna Regina Ühlein lived 1803-1805 2 years old
Eva Regina Ühelein lived 1805-1848 43 yearsold
Josef Volmar Ühlein lived 1808-1813 5 years old
Johannes Ühlein lived 1810-1853 43 years old
Benedikt Josef Ühlein lived 1813-1874 61 yearsold
Heinrich Josef Ühlein lived 1815-1841 26 yearsold
Franz Josef Ühlein lived 1817-1817 under ayear old
Maria Kathathina Ühlein lived 1819-1855 36years old
Male Ühlein 1820-1820 Stillborn
Josef Ühlein died October 3, 1834 at age 60. His wife, Anna Maria diedMarch 18, 1839 at age 63.
It was their 6th child, Benedikt Josef was born October 11, 1813. Hemarried Katherina Josepha Krug in Miltenberg on April 20, 1841. Katherina was born inMiltenberg on June 20, 1820. They moved to Wertheim, Germany where Benedikt purchase ahotel. He was the Innkeeper of the “Zur Krone” of Wertheim. They had ninechildren.
Georg Karl August Uihlein 1842-1911
Henry Uihlein 1944-1922
Eduard (Edward) G. Uihlein 1945-1921
Karl (Charles) M. Uihlein 1848-1915
Anna Uihlein 1850-1932
Alfred Uihlein 1852-1935
Gustav Uihlein 1854-1870
Laura Uihlein 1857-1943
William J. Uihlein 1859-1932
Benedikt Josef Ühlein died in Wertheim on October 22, 1874 at age 61.His wife Katherina died in Wertheim on December 28, 1867 at age 47.
Benedikt and Katherina’s oldest child, Georg Karl August, who wentby the name of August, was born in Wertheim on August 25, 1842. At age nine, he came toAmerica with his grandfather Georg Krug. He lived with his Uncle August Krug and his wifeAnna Hartig Krug in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
August Krug owned a Brewery in Milwaukee. One of his four employeeswas a 19 year old bookkeeper Joseph Schlitz. When August Krug died, this Joseph Schlitz,then 25 years old, took over the brewery. Two years later, Joseph Schlitz married AugustKrug’s widow Anna Hartig Krug. At that time, the brewery’s name changed to SchlitzBrewery. In 1875, Joseph Schlitz died as the steamship Schiller sank. August Uihlein, then33 years old, took over Schlitz Brewery.
Johannes Georg Ühlein
Johannes Georg Ühlein, our ancestor, was born in Trennfurtam Main, Germany on August 7, 1768. In his adult life, his occupation was aTradesman-Merchant in Trennfurt. On March 7, 1791 he married Maria Josepha Rohleder. Ihave not located where or when she was born or when she died. They resided at house number49 in Trennfurt am Main, Germany. Johannes Georg died on August 24, 1839 at age 71.
Johannes Georg and Maria Josepha Uehlein had at least one child thatwe are aware of – Johannes Uehlein. Johannes was born in Trennfurt am Main, Germany onOctober 30, 1808. His father would have been 40 years old at the time of his birth.
Johannes was a Tradesman-Merchant in Trennfurt. In the course of hislife he resided in both house numbers 39 and 49. He married twice and had 11 children.
Johannes married his first wife, Katherina Josepha Zöller in Wörtham Main on February 8, 1830. She was born in Wörth, Germany on October 20, 1803.Katherina was 5 years older than her husband Johannes Uehlein. Her parent’s were theMerchandise Economist Johann Anton Zöller from Wörth, Germany and Mrs. Anna Margarethawhose maiden name was Ludwig.
Johannes Uehlein and his wife Katherina Josepha Zöller Uehlein hadseven children.
The oldest, a son Otto was born on September 21, 1830. He was tohave died very young. There was no other information found on him.
The second child, a daughter Josepha (Josephine) was born May 16,1832. She married Franz Alois Zöller of Röllfeld, Germany on October 5, 1859. Themarriage was not in the Church book in Trennfurt, but possibly they married in Röllfeld.Franz Zöller was born in Röllfeld, German on June 2, 1838. They had eight children. Onechild, Ferdinand August was born in Germany on June 19, 1859. He was baptized on June 23,1859. They came to America in 1861 and lived in Dixon, Illinois. The other seven childrenborn in America were Harry, Edward, Annie, Helena, Louise, Louis and Charles. Josephinedied in Dixon, Illinois on April 21, 1906. Franz died November 27, 1914. More informationon this family is located in the chapter marked “Dixon, Illinois”.
The third child, a daughter Mathilde was born on July 7, 1834. Shewas baptized on July 8, 1834. She married Leo Ebert of Klingenburg, Germany about 1858.The marriage did not take place in Trennfurt. Leo was born on January 28, 1837 inKlingenburg, Germany. They had nine children. Their first child, Wilhelmina Stephania wasborn in a renown hospital in Wurzburg, Germany on January 28, 1859. They came to Americain 1859 and resided in Ironton, Ohio after a brief stay in Cincinnati, Ohio. The otherchildren born in America were Margaret, Anne Barbara, Matilda, Otto, Emma, an Infant whodied, another Infant who died and Bertha. Leo Ebert was in the brewery business and ownedEbert Brewery in Ironton, Ohio. Matilda Uehlein Ebert died in Ironton on December 29,1921. Leo Ebert died in Ironton on February 22, 1908. More information on this family islocated in the chapter marked “The Ebert Family of Ironton, Ohio”.
The fourth child, a son Hugo was born on April 24, 1837. There wasno other information found on him.
The fifth child, a daughter Francisca was born on October 14, 1839,died at the age of four years, eight months and 15 days on June 29, 1844. The cause ofdeath listed in the church book was Meningitis – brain inflammation.
The sixth child, a daughter Wilhelmina was born on August 18, 1842.She lived her whole life in Germany. The Family Book in the Catholic Church in Trennfurtshowed she married twice. Her first husband was a man named Dunkel. He was from Bergtheim,Germany, which was just north of Wurzburg. The only information regarding her secondmarriage was that it took place in Frankfurt, Germany in 1885.
The seventh and youngest child of the union of Johannes andKatherina Josepha was a son August Uehlein. He was born on September 29, 1846. He marriedElisabeth Colombara of Bensheim, Germany on September 24, 1878. They had three children.Carl Uehlein was born in Germany and died at age 2 1/2 of Diphtheria in Germany. They cameto Cleveland, Ohio in 1883. Mathilda and Anna Maria were born in Cleveland, Ohio.Elisabeth died January 28, 1890 at age 34. August died August 1, 1921 at age 75. Detailsof August Uehlein’s life is located in the chapter “August, Take Good Care Of TheChildren”. From this child, August Uehlein, was where our family line continues.
When August Uehlein was only 8 1/4 years old, his mother KatherinaJosepha Zöller Uehlein died. She died on New Year’s Day, January 1, 1855. The cause ofdeath given in the death register book was “Hydrops” (dropsy).
August Uehlein was very devoted to his Mother’s memory. A quote fromAnna Uehlein Wirtz, his daughter, was “On New Years day, he would sit there and hiseyes would almost be full of tears, because he loved his mother so. It was a somber day attheir house, no dates, no nothing. Every year, they would bring down to the living room, alovely crucifix on a stand. They would place blessed candles in pewter candle holders andpray for her.” They would also follow this same ritual on the anniversary ofElizabeth Colombara Uehlein’s death and on Mother’s Day. As Anna remembered, “theycould never go out on those dates, they were such Holy Days for August Uehlein.”
Six years after his mother died, when August was 14, his fatherremarried. On April 23, 1861, Johannes Uehlein married Maria Uhrig. They were married inKloster Engelberg. Maria Uhrig was born December 11, 1831 in Laudenbach and was 23 yearsyounger than Johannes Uehlein. Maria’s father was a boatman, Dominikus Uhrig ofLaudenbach. It was passed down through August Uehlein’s daughters that Maria, Johannessecond wife was one of August’s older sister’s girlfriends.
Out of this second marriage there were four children born. Alldaughters. Maria, born on April 20, 1862. On October 7, 1885 she married August Wohlmann.Laura, born on February 11, 1865. In 1894 she married Wendel Maier. Fanny, born on July 2,1867. There was no other information found on her. Charlotte, born on June 25, 1870. Shedied as a toddler of 10 months on April 20, 1871.
Johannes Uihlein died on January 26, 1881 in Trennfurt at age 721/4. His second wife, Maria Uhrig Uehlein followed him into death on
It was passed down through Anna Marie Uehlein Wirtz, AugustUehlein’s daughter, that after his mothers death, his father had re-married and had morechildren. However, there was no known information regarding these half-sisters passeddown. It is not known whether August Uehlein had any contact with his half-sisters. AUGUSTUEHLEIN
August Uehlein was born September 29, 1846 in Trennfurt am Main,Germany. His parents were Johannes Uehlein who was born in Trennfurt am Main, Germany onOctober 30, 1808 and Katherina Josepha Zöller born in Wörth am Main, Germany on October20, 1803. Katherina Josepha Zöller and Johannes Uehlein were married in Wörth am Main onFebruary 8, 1830.
On New Years Day, January 1, 1855 when August was 8 1/2 years old,his mother Katherina Josepha Zöller Uehlein dies. August was very devoted to his mother’smemory.
It was passed down that when August was 13 years old he left hishome to live with another family and work in their flour mill. Where this mill was locatedis unknown at this time. This would have been about the year 1859 or 1860. August’s lifeand his whereabouts from 1859 through 1878 when he married in Bensheim are not known.
I have a photograph of August, marked age 18, which was taken inWurzburg, Germany. If his age is correct, it would have been in 1864 that he was inWurzburg. His older sister Mathilda had given birth to her 1st child in Wurzburg in 1859,which was about the time August would have left his home to work in the flour mill.Possibly August could have traveled with his sister Mathilda to Wurzburg and stayed thereto work. However, I have not found any information to document this.
Since 19 years of August Uehlein’s life from 1859 through 1878 isunclear, I have documented major happenings of his families life. These are things thatAugust could have or could not have been aware of.
- On January 28, 1859, when August was 12 years old, his sister Mathilda gave birth to herfirst daughter Wihlemina Stephania in a renown hospital in Wurzburg, Germany.
- In June 1859, when August was 12 1/2 years old, his sister Mathilda moved to America.
- On June 19, 1859, when August was 12 1/2 years old, his sister Josepha, (Josephine) gavebirth to her first son Ferdinand August.
- In 1861, when August was 14 years old, his sister Josepha (Josephine) moved to America.
- On April 23, 1861, when August was 14 1/2 years old, his father remarried to MariaUhrig.
- On April 20, 1862, when August was 15 1/2 years old, his younger half-sister Maria wasborn.
- On February 11, 1865, when August was 19 years old, his younger half-sister Laura wasborn.
- On July 2, 1867, when August was 21 1/2 years old, his younger half-sister Fanny wasborn.
- On June 25, 1870, when August was 23 1/2 years old, his younger half-sister Charlottewas born.
- On April 20, 1871, when August was 24 1/2 years old, his younger half-sister Charlottedied at age 10 months.
Somehow, August made his way to Bensheim, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany.On September 24, 1878, when August was 32 years old, he married Elisabeth Colombara, age22, of Bensheim, Germany. Elisabeth was born June 23, 1856 in Bensheim. Her father, CarlColombara was the Pewter Merchant of Bensheim. Her mother was Anna Maria MüllerColombara. She was the 2nd child, the oldest surviving of 16 children of this marriage.For detailed information on the Colombara Family, see the Colombara Chapter.
August and Elisabeth resided in Bensheim from 1878 to 1883 prior tocoming to America. They might have also spent some time in Aschaffenburg, since we are inthe possession of photographs taken from Aschaffenburg of August Uehlein, ElisabethColombara Uehlein and John Colombara.
On February 14, 1880 or 1881, when August was about 34 years old,Elisabeth gave birth to his first and only son Carl Uehlein. It was said Carl was born inBensheim, Germany.
On January 26, 1881, when August was 34 1/2 years old, his fatherJohannes Uihlein dies in Trennfurt, Germany.
In 1882 or 1883, August and Elisabeth’s first child Carl Uehleindied of Diphtheria in Bensheim. He was only 2 1/2 years old. We have one photograph ofhim.
On July 14, 1883, Elisabeth Colombara’s brother John Colombara hadleft Bensheim for Cleveland, Ohio. He was on the ship “Werra” out of Bremenwhich arrived in New York on August 18, 1883. His destination was listed on the shipsmanifest as Cleveland, Ohio. This was just 3 months before August Uehlein arrived inCleveland.
AUGUST UEHLEIN’S LIFE IN CLEVELAND
The first time I show August in America was from his shiprecords. On November 17, 1883, at age 37, August arrived in New York on the ship”Westernland”. It left from a port in Antwerp. He would have arrived inCleveland to join his brother-in-law Johannes Colombara sometime soon after thatdate.Elisabeth was not on the ship’s passenger list. At this time, I am not sure whenElisabeth arrived in Cleveland. It would have been before July 1885 as she was mentionedon John Colombara’s death notice in the Cleveland “Wächter und Erie” Germannewspaper.
The Cleveland City Directory for the period of August 1884 throughJuly 1885 showed that August was working at the Oppmann Brewing Company as a bookkeeper.He was boarding at the corner of Columbus and Freeman Streets. This confirms what has beenpassed down through the family, that “he worked at Oppmann Brewing Company as abookkeeper for about 2 years”. Oppmann Brewing was located at the corner of ColumbusSE and Willey Streets. Mr. Andrew William Oppmann owned Oppmann Brewing. August would haveworked at Oppmann Brewing from the time he arrived in November 1883 to May 21, 1885.
There was another employee at Oppmann Brewing by the name of LouisLezius. There was a Cuyahoga County Land Deed that included Louis Lezius as an officer ofthe company. This deed, Volume 373, Page 102, was made on June 17, 1884. The CityDirectory for the period of August 1884 through July 1885 as listed below also showedLouis as part owner of Oppmann Brewing.
Oppmann Brewing Co., (A. Wm. Oppmann, Wm. Bloch, and Louis Lezius), Columbus, se. cor.Willey
On November 1, 1884 Louis Lezius sold his share of the OppmannBrewery to Mr. A.W. Oppmann and Wm. Bloch for “the consideration of moving and$3,500.00 and other good causes and valuable considerations”.
On May 21, 1885 August Uehlein and Louis Lezius entered into apartnership called “Lezius and Uehlein”. They purchased a brewery from JacobMueller for $8,200. (Cuyahoga County Deed, Volume 379, Page 580). The deed notes that”this deed was made in pursuance of a contract entered into by the grantor and thegrantees dated March 14, 1885″.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 379, Page 580
Jacob and Laura Mueller to Louis Lezius and August Uehlein
…sublots nos. twenty-three (23) and twenty four in Taylor and Hoyt’s allotment andsubdivision of part of original 10 acre lot No. ten (10) as recorded in Vol. one of mapspage two (2) Cuyahoga County Records said two sublots fronting on Broadway Extension…Subject to the taxes of 1885… This deed is made in pursuance of a contract entered intoby the grantor and the grantees dated March 14, 1885…
This brewery was located at 37 & 39 Pittsburgh Street. Which wasat the corner of Pittsburgh and Jackson Streets. Jackson Street is now East 27th. In 1996,this site is where the Main Post Office is located at 2400 Orange.
This particular location was the site of a brewery as early as 1856.A local newspaper informed its readers that the Jones & Lloyd Star Brewery onPittsburgh Street has Pale ale, Amber ale and porter constantly on hand.
The three Cleveland City Directories covering the period of August1885 to July 1888 showed that Louis Lezius and August Uehlein were indeed in apartnership.
The two City Directories of August 1885 to July 1887 showed thatAugust was residing at 37 Pittsburgh. This was the site of the brewery. His brother-in-lawJohn Colombara was also residing at the brewery address.
Elisabeth brother, John Colombara, who came to Cleveland a fewmonths before August Uehlein was helping August with his brewery business. He died on July24, 1885, at age 26 just less than 2 years after his arrival in Cleveland. His deathnotice in “Wächter und Erie”, a Cleveland German Newspaper, stated hisresidence was 37 Pittsburg Street. His death record at the Cuyahoga County Archives showedhis residence at the time of his death was 37 Pittsburgh Exchange. This was the address ofthe brewery which August Uehlein had purchased on May 21, 1885.
The 1900 Census of Cleveland showed that there was a household at 37Pittsburgh where a family with two children resided. It was probably the living quartersfor the brewery caretakers family. This was probably the same place where August Uehleinhad lived and where John Colombara lived and died. The six Cleveland City Directoriescovering the period of August 1886 through July 1892 showed that the Uehlein family livedat 48 Irving Street. This would have been right up the street from the brewery that Augustowned at the corner of Pittsburg and Jackson Streets. Irving Street was parallel withJackson Street off of Pittsburgh. There were two homes on this lot and the Uehlein’s livedin the front house. Mrs. Weber lived in the rear. In a tape recording of Anna UehleinWirtz made in 1978, she stated that “Mrs. Weber lived in the same yard where mymother lived. The yard had two houses on it, one in the front and one in the rear. Mymother lived in the house in front.” The Uehlein’s lived at this Irving residence forsix years.
Mathilda’s birth return in 1886 and Anna Maria birth return in 1889both showed the address of 47 Irving Street. The address August used on his petitionapplication for his Naturalization on October 25, 1888 was that of 48 Irving Street.Elisabeth obituary in 1890 shows the 48 Irving Street. We have many sources confirmingthat they did indeed resided at 47 or 48 Irving Street during that time period.
While they resided on Irving Street, they belonged to the parish ofSt. Joseph’s Catholic Church. This church was located at Woodland and East 23rd Streets.The children, Mathilda and Anna Maria were baptized there and John and Elisabeth wereburied from this church. The church was closed in September 1986. A fire in February 1993total destroyed the Church and it was torn down.
On August 15, 1886, just before August was 40 years old, Elisabethgave birth to their second child. Catherine Mathilda was born at 47 Irving Street inCleveland, Ohio. She always went by the name Mathilda or Tillie for short. As far asCatherine, she always stated to her daughter Marcella that it was Catherine with a C.
On May 1, 1888 Louis Lezius sold his interest of the brewery toAugust Uehlein for $3,300.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 429, Page 231-232, Number 20369
Louis and Dorothea Lezius to August Uehlein
…for considerations of Thirty-three hundred (3,300) dollars, received to our fullsatisfaction of August Uehlein…the following described premises, situated in the City ofCleveland, County of Cuyahoga, State of Ohio, and known as sublots Number twenty three(23) and twenty four (24) in Taylor & Hogt’s allotment and subdivision of part of theoriginal 10 acre lot number ten (10) as recorded in Vol. one of maps two (2), CuyahogaCounty records. Said two sublots fronting on Broadway Extension…free and clear from allencumbrance whatsoever, except a certain mortgage for the sum of six thousand (6,000)dollars heretofore executed and delivered to Jacob Mueller of said city….Then on thesame day August and Elise Uehlein turn it over to A.C. Dustin, who immediately turns itover to Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlein.
May 1, 1888
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 429, Page 232-233, Number 20370
August and Elise Uehlein to A.C. Dustin. That we, August Uehlein and Elise Uehlein,husband and wife, the grantors, for the considerations of one dollars and other valuableconsiderations, received to our full satisfaction of A.C Dustin… the described premises,situated in the City of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga, State of Ohio, known as sublotsNumber twenty-three (23) and twenty four (24) in Taylor & Hogt’s allotment andsubdivision of part of the original 10 acre lot number ten (10) as recorded in Vol. one ofmaps page two (2), Cuyahoga County records. Said two sublots fronting on BroadwayExtension…and assigns for ever in trust to convey the same to Anthony J. Diebolt andAugust Uehlein Co partners as Diebolt and Uehlein….are free and clear from allencumbrances whatsoever, except a certain mortgage for 6,000 dollars…
May 1, 1888
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 429, Page 233, Number 20371:
A.C. Dustin to Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlein.
… That I, A.C. Dustin, the grantor, for good causes and considerations thereuntomoving and especially for the sum of one dollar ($1.00) received to my full satisfactionof Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlein, co partners as Diebolt and Uehlein, …to thefollowing described piece or parcel of land, situated in the City of Cleveland, County ofCuyahoga, State of Ohio, known as sublots Number twenty-three (23) and twenty four (24) inTaylor & Hogt’s allotment and subdivision of part of the original 10 acre lot numberten (10) as recorded in Vol. one of maps page two (2), Cuyahoga County records. Said twosublots fronting on Broadway Extension…This conveyance is made in execution of a trusterected in a deed of this date to grantor from August Uehlein and Elisa Uehlein…
August Uehlein had now entered into a joint ownership in the brewerywith Anthony J. Diebolt. The Co-Partnership was called “Diebolt and Uehlein”.
The City Directory for the period of August 1888 through July 1889,showed that August was indeed in a partnership with Anthony Diebolt. Under Uehlein itshowed:
Uehlein, August (Diebolt & Uehlein), r. 48 Irving.
Under Diebolt it showed: DIEBOLT & UEHLEIN, (Anthony J. Diebolt and AugustUehlein), Brewers, 37 and 39 Pittsburgh.
In an article written by Carl H. Miller in 1994 the output for thisbrewery in 1888 was that of 4,000 barrels.
THE DIEBOLT BREWING COMPANY
The Diebolt Brewing Company was a small, family-run brewery locatedon Pittsburgh Ave. at the corner of Jackson (E. 27th) St. Its history is obscure. It beganin 1888 as Diebolt & Uehlein, a partnership of Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlein.A year later, Edward A. Ruble succeeded Uehlein. But from 1892 until it closed in 1928,the firm was known as the Diebolt Brewing Co. Anthony Diebolt was secretary and treasurer.When the brewery closed to make way for the Union Terminal development, all three companyofficers entered the real-estate business, forming the Diebolt Co., with offices in theKeith Building. The 3 story red-brick stable that once housed the brewery’s beerwagonhorses was still standing on 1980, when it was photographed for the Historic AmericanEngineering Record of the National Park Service and then torn down for construction of anew main post office.
I have a negative and the photograph of the Diebolt Brewery Buildingtaken on September 22, 1923. This building was torn down in 1929.
On October 25, 1888, August Uehlein at age 42, petitioned for hisNaturalization. His Naturalization was granted on November 17, 1888. This was exactly 5years from the date that he arrived in America.
On May 1, 1889 August and Elise Uehlein sold the brewery to Anthony J. Diebolt for$6,000.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 452, Page 20, Number 33725
…I, August Uehlein the grantor for divers, good course and considerations thereuntomoving especially for the sum of six thousand dollars, received to my full satisfaction ofAnthony J. Diebolt…given granted remised release and forever quit claimed …to thefollowing described premises situated in the City of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga, Stateof Ohio, known as sublots Number twenty-three (23) and twenty four (24) in Taylor &Hogt’s allotment and subdivision of part of the original 10 acre lot number ten (10) asrecorded in Vol. one of maps page two (2), Cuyahoga County records. Said two sublotsfronting on Broadway Extension being the same premises conveyed in quit claim deed of A.C. Dustin to the said Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlein Co partners as Diebolt andUehlein which deeded May 1st 1888 and recorded May 30th 1888 in Volume 429 Page 233Cuyahoga County records….
Also on May 1, 1889 August and Elisabeth’s third child was born.Anna Maria was born at 47 Irving Street. On May 25th, 1889 Anna Marie Uehlein was baptizedin St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, located at Woodland and East 23rd Streets in Cleveland,Ohio.
On January 28, 1890 August’s wife Elizabeth Colombara Uehlein diedof Pneumonia at age 34. It was very sudden. She took ill on Saturday after walking in thebitter cold to the market and died on the following Tuesday. Her daughter’s Mathilda was 3years old and Anna was 9 months old at the time. Elisabeth died at 48 Irving Street.
Glued to the front cover of August Uehlein’s prayer book is thelocal newspapers death notice of Elizabeth Colombara Uehlein. In 1996, this death noticewas 106 years old. The words are in German and are translate to English as follows:
Friends and acquaintances, the sad news of our beloved wife andmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Uehlein nee Colombara from Bensheim on Bergstrasse at 3:30 Tuesdaymorning after a brief illness departed from this life at age 34.
The funeral will take place 9 o’clock Thursday morning from theresidence #48 Irving Street. The grieving husband AUGUST UEHLEIN with two young children.August was very dedicated to his wife and her memory. His children passed down manystories regarding this. The following is an excerpt from a tape recording made on February24, 1978 of Anna Uehlein Wirtz:
“Elizabeth Uehlein died on January 28th, 1890. She became illon a Saturday and died of Pneumonia on the following Tuesday. This was a terrible tragedyfor our Father, as we did not have a single relative in Cleveland. It was so bitter coldat the time and the snow so deep, that our Father could not pick out a cemetery plot, soMother had to be placed temporarily in a vault. When the weather broke, she was able to beburied on March 11th. Mother’s casket had a glass cover on the top, so our dad tookTillie, then 3 1/2 years old, out to the grave to see Mother. However, Tillie was tooyoung at the time to remember. I was only 9 months old at the time. Our Mother’s lastwords were, “August, take good care of the children”, and our Father surely didkeep his promise to her.”
“He was fortunate enough to find a very good housekeeper, Mrs.Marbach. She remained with us for 6 years, loved us and was like a mother to us. It wasMrs. Marbach who took Tillie and me to Germany as little girls to visit our grandparentswho were still living at the time.”
Elisabeth was buried at St. Joseph Cemetery on March 11, 1890.August Uehlein never remarried.
On April 19, 1890 August bought a large area of land located at East79th and Kinsman from two different parties, a Mr. John Ochsner and Jane, John and MarennaMeerman.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 470, Page 182, Number 48126
John Ochsner to August Uehlein
…for the consideration of fourteen hundred forty dollars ($1,440.00)… the followingdescribed premises…known as sub lots numbers twenty two (22) and twenty three (23) inCharles Leavitts subdivision of a part of original Newburgh Township lots Nos 327 and330… being each 30 feet front on Kinsman Street and extending back of equal width 160feet to an alley in the rear, according to the plat of said subdivision recorded in Volume5 of Maps, page 31 Cuyahoga Records…free and clear from all encumbrances except taxesfor 1890…
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 470, Page 182, Number 48127
Jane, John and Marenna Meerman to August Uehlein …for the consideration of fourteenhundred forty dollars ($1,440.00)… the following described premises…known as sub lotsnumbers twenty (20) and twenty one (21) in Charles Leavitts subdivision of a part oforiginal Newburgh Township lots Nos 327 and 330… being each 30 feet front on KinsmanStreet and extending back of equal width 160 feet to an alley in the rear, according tothe plat of said subdivision recorded in Volume 5 of Maps, page 31 Cuyahoga Records…free and clear from all encumbrances except taxes for 1890…
This property was situated on the north west side of East 79thStreet and Kinsman. What August used this property for, I do not know at this time. I havefound no reference that they ever lived there. As time goes on, this site becomes sixdifferent lots. As August sells this property off, part of it becomes the site of KinsmanSchool. On May 1, 1979 the Kinsman School property changed hands to the current site ofthe St. Paul Mission Baptist Church.
As for August’s business life, the Cleveland City Directory for theperiod of August 1890 through July 1891 showed August had a Saloon at 422 Woodland Avenue.I do not have any additional information regarding this saloon.
In 1891, May through September, the housekeeper Mrs. Marbach, tookMathilda age 5, and Anna age 2, to Germany for a visit with Elizabeth Colombara’s parents,Carl and Anna Maria Colombara. It was said on the tape from Anna Maria Uehlein Wirtz that”Anna Maria Colombara was ill and wanted to see Elisabeth’s children before shedied”. When Mathilda got back, she was to start school in September but she knew noEnglish, just German.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1891 through July1892 it showed August was residing at 48 Irving and was involved with Wines. Possibly itwas with Boehmke Wine Company. This might be the connection to how August continued hiscareer in the brewery business with the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic. Since at this time HenryBoehmke and Herman Anhaeusser are operating the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic and Bottling Works.
Before continuing with August Uehlein, here is somebackground information on the Anhaeusser Bottling and Malt Tonic Company, Henry Boehmkeand Herman Anhaeusser.
THE BEGINNING OF ANHAEUSSER BOTTLING AND MALT TONIC COMPANY
It was in the August 1889 through July 1890 City Directory that TheAnhaeusser Co-Operative Bottling Company was listed for the first time. It stated theywere Wholesale Bottlers of Lager and Export. The company was located at 438 Columbus. Thiswas on the south west corner of Willey and Columbus. At that time Willey Street did notdead end into Columbus but continued through to West 25th Street. It was across the streetfrom where the Phoenix Brewery was located. It was in this City Directory that thefollowing advertisement was listed showing the officers of the company: Henry Boehmke,President Otto Pfister, Secr and Treas; Herm. Anhaeusser, Vice-President; Ad. Maier,Superintendent
The Anhaeusser Co-Operative Bottling Co. (Incorporated.)
Wholesale Bottlers of
LAGER AND EXPORT,
No. 438 Columbus Street, Cleveland, Ohio. Telephone 1533.
The first time the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company appeared was in anadvertisement in the City Directory covering the period of August 1890 through July 1891.It showed that Otto Pfister was the General Manager of the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company.It was located at the same address as the Co-operative Bottling Company at 438 ColumbusStreet. It was in this City Directory that the following two advertisements were listed:
ANHAEUSSER MALT TONIC CO., Otto Pfister, General Manager,
438 Columbus Street. Telephone 1533.
THE ANHAEUSSER MALT TONIC, The Favorite Table Beverage, Is sold by thecase of 24 Bottles, at $1.50 delivered to the house by our special Malt Tonic Wagons.
To be had by the single bottle at 15 cents in all Drug Stores. As ATonic To Build Up The System It Is Unequalled, And Recommended As Such By All Physicians.
Herm. Anhaeusser, President Valentine Koenig, Treasurer
Henry Boehmke, Secretary Ad. Maier, Superintendent
The Anhaeusser Co-Operative Bottling Co. (Incorporated.)
Wholesale Bottlers of LAGER AND EXPORT,
No. 438 Columbus Street, Cleveland, Ohio. Telephone 1533.
Information found in the City Directory for the period of August1888 through July 1889 on Henry Boehmke was that he was the President of The Boehmke WineCompany. In the three City Directories for the period of August 1889 through July 1892 hewas listed as the Secretary and Treasurer for the Oppmann Brewing Company. On September12, 1891 the Oppmann Brewery changed it’s name to Phoenix Brewery. In the two CityDirectories for the period of August 1892 through July 1894 it showed that Henry Boehmkewas the Vice President and Manager of the Phoenix Brewery. It was only in the CityDirectories Advertisements for the Anhaeusser Co-Operative Bottling Company that it listedHenry Boehmke as President (1890) and Secretary (1891) of Anhaeusser Bottling Company.
Herman Anhaeusser came to Cleveland with his wife in 1884. He workedat the malt house of Hermann Mueller & Company. In the Cleveland City Directorycovering the period of August 1886 through July 1887 it showed that he was a Maltster. In1886 he worked at Loeffler’s Malt House in Massillon for ten months. That was why he wasnot listed in the August 1887 through July 1888 Cleveland City Directory. He returned toCleveland where he worked as a collector for Mr. Oppmann, the owner of Phoenix Brewery.The City Directory for the period of August 1888 through July 1889 showed he was aCollector. The two City Directories for the period of August 1889 through July 1891 listedHerman as Vice-President of the Anhaeusser Co-operative Bottling Company. In anadvertisement in the 1891 City Directory it showed Herman as the President of theAnhaeusser Co-operative Bottling Company. It was on September 12, 1891 that the OppmannBrewery changed its name to Phoenix Brewery. The City Directories from August 1891 throughJuly 1899 it lists Herman as a Collector, a Collector for the Phoenix Brewery, or aCollector at 444 Columbus, which was the address for the Phoenix Brewery. In the six CityDirectories for the period of August 1900 through July 1905 it showed Herman as theManager of Phoenix Brewery. The Phoenix Brewery became the Baehr-Phoenix Brewery in 1905.In the City Directory for August 1905 through July 1906 Herman was the Manager of theBaehr Phoenix Brewery. In 1905 he made a visit to Germany, returning to Cleveland with twoorphan girls whom he adopted. It showed in the City Directory of the period coveringAugust 1906 through July 1907 that Herman retired. He wrote satires for the KoelnerZeitung upon his return from Germany. In the City Directory covering the period of August1912 through July 1913 it had Rev. (Reverend) after his name. There was no HermanAnhaeusser listed in the City Directory after August 1914.
Note: The source of the information on Herman Anhaeusser other than what is marked bythe City Directories came from Dr. Robert E. Ward.
ANHAEUSSER MALT TONIC AND BOTTLING COMPANY WITH AUGUST UEHLEIN
Throughout the years the Anhaeusser Companies were listed under manynames: The Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company, The Anhaeusser Bottling Works, The AnhaeusserCo-Operative Bottling Company and The Anhaeusser Incorporated. All of them were located atthe same address.
Anna Maria Uehlein Wirtz had stated on her tape recording made onFebruary 24, 1978 that August Uehlein had bought the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic from HermanAnhaeusser. She also stated that Herman was a brother of the Anhaeusser involved with theAnhaeusser-Busch Brewery. I have found no information on this relationship at this time.
It would be sometime around the beginning of 1892 that August becameinvolved in the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic and the Co-Operative Bottling Works. Augustcontinued with this company until his retirement around 1912. There was no indication thatHerman Anhaeusser or Henry Boehmke were active in the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic or BottlingCompanies once August became involved.
It was in the City Directory covering the period of August 1892through July 1893 that August Uehlein was shown for the first time as the Proprietor ofthe Anhaeusser Bottling Works. It listed August Uehlein’s address of 416 Columbus.
In the “Sun and Voice” 1892-1893 Souvenir, page 23, itlisted the following advertisement of August Uehlein as Proprietor:
THE ANHAEUSSER BOTTLING WORKS,
Telephone 1533. AUG. UEHLEIN, Proprietor.
438 COLUMBUS STREET
BOTTLERS OF LAGER AND EXPORT BEER, And the ANHAEUSSER MALT TONIC.
August Uehlein as the Proprietor of the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic andBottling Works was a Bottler of Lager and Export Beer and also sold the Anhaeusser MaltTonic. The Malt Tonic was not considered a beer, but a nourishing table beverageacceptable for all to drink. In an advertisement, it was stated that the Tonic wasrecommended by physicians to build up ones system. The Newburgh Sanitarium was one ofAugust’s largest account. Another large customer base of the Malt Tonic was the nunneries.It was sold to nursing mothers to build up their milk supply. The Tonic was sold by singlebottles in Drug Stores or delivered in cases of bottles and kegs. It would be delivered tothe house by special Malt Tonic Wagons.
In the two City Directory covering the period of August 1893 throughJuly 1895 August was listed as the Proprietor of the Anhaeusser Bottling Company. In thebusiness section of the directories, under Bottling Works (Beer and Ale) it listedAnhaeusser Bottling Works. These directories showed that August was residing at 422Columbus. It was passed down through Mathilda and Anna that they moved around a lot fromtheir Irving Street address before settling at their home on Walton Avenue.
In the City Directory covering the period of August 1895 throughJuly 1896 it showed August as Proprietor and that he was residing at 438 Columbus. Thiswould have been the address of the Anhaeusser Bottling Works.
In the City Directory for the period covering August 1896 throughJuly 1897 it listed after August Uehlein’s name, Bottling Works at 438 Columbus. However,under Anhaeusser Bottling Works, it still show August as Proprietor. His residence was now50 Ward. The Uehlein’s will live at 50 Ward for four years.
In the City Directory for the period covering August 1897 throughJuly 1898 it listed under his name, Proprietor. Under Anhaeusser Bottling Works it had hisname misspelled as Mehlein. His residence was 50 Ward.
On February 1, 1898, August sold part of his property on KinsmanRoad to August Raber.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 683 Page 172 Number 81599
…for $1.00 the property situated in the City of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga andState of Ohio, and known as being parts of sublots Nos, twenty one (21) and twenty two(22) in Charles Leavitts allotment of part of original lots numbers three hundred andtwenty seven (327) and three hundred and thirty (330) commencing on the northerly side ofKinsman Street, at a point 10 feet, easterly of the westerly line of sub lot No 22, thencenortherly and parallel with the easterly line of said sub lot No 22, 160 feet to an alley,thence westerly along said alley and the northerly lines of said sub lots nos 22 and 21,40 feet, thence southerly and parallel with the westerly line of said sub lot no 21, 160feet to the place of beginning as per plat of said subdivision recorded in Vol 5 of maps,page 31, Cuyahoga County records… clear from all encumbrance, whatsoever, excepting thetaxes of 1897 due in June 1898. In the City Directory for the period covering August 1898through July 1899 it showed under Uehlein that he was a Bottler at 438 Columbus. UnderAnhaeusser Bottling Company he is listed as proprietor. His residence was still 50 Ward.
In the City Directory for the period covering August 1899 throughJuly 1900 it showed under Uehlein that he was a Manager at 438 Columbus. Under AnhaeusserBottling Company there was no name listed. His residence was still 50 Ward.
The 1900 Cleveland Census taken on June 2, 1900 showed that AugustUehlein lived at 47 McLean Street. McLean Street is now West 26th Street. McLean waslocated directly across West 25th Street from where the Willey and Columbus intersectionwas. The Uehlein’s will live at 47 McLean Street for three years.
August kept housekeepers until Tillie was out of school. After Mrs.Marbach they had numerous housekeepers. It was said that once the housekeepers realizedAugust had no interest in marrying them, they would either leave or start treating thechildren poorly, so August would replace them with another housekeeper.
Since school only went to the 7th grade, at age 13 Mathilda hadcompleted her schooling. This would have been about 1899 or 1900. She then was the one whokept up the house and cooked meals for the family. They had a laundry woman come in once aweek for a few years. Mathilda would cook hot meals for her father’s lunch and her sisterAnna would take them across West 25th Street to where August was at work. The children hadto learn to do housework, cook and garden at an early age. Anna Maria Uehlein Wirtz said”He wanted to make certain that we would be good housekeepers.”
In the City Directory for the period covering August 1900 throughJuly 1901 it showed under Uehlein that he was a Manager at 438 Columbus. Under AnhaeusserMalt Tonic there was no name listed. His residence was 47 McLean Street.
In the City Directory for the period covering August 1901 throughJuly 1902 it showed under Uehlein the word Beer, with no address for business. There wasno name listed under Anhaeusser Malt Tonic. His residence was 47 McLean Street.
In the two City Directories for the period of August 1902 throughJuly 1904 it showed under Uehlein, that August was the Superintendent at 438 Columbus. Hisresidence was 47 McLean Street. Under the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company at 438 Columbus,it listed that William Mueller was Manager.
Who was this William Mueller listed as Manager of AnhaeusserBottling Works? He first appeared in the City Directory for the period August 1901 throughJuly 1902. It showed he was a Bottler and he lived at 48 McLean. The Uehlein home onMcLean Street was a duplex. August and his daughter’s lived downstairs. William Muellermust have lived upstairs. In the two City Directories for the period of August 1902through July 1904 it showed he lived at 47 McLean, which was definitely the same house ofthe Uehlein’s. He was not listed in the City Directory after July 1904. Who he was orwhere he went is not known at this time.
I have a photograph of the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Horse and Wagonwhich was taken in 1903 in front of August Uehlein’s residence of 47 McLean Street. Thewagon has the address of Anhaeusser Malt Tonic as 438 Columbus St and the phone number as”Tel. West 19J”. The man in this photograph might be William Mueller since atthat time he was living at 47 McLean and working for August Uehlein at Anhaeusser BottlingWorks. In the business section under Bottlers of the City Directory covering the period ofAugust 1903 through July 1904 it listed Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Co.
They lived at 47 McLean Street until May 15, 1903 when Augustpurchased the home at 169 Walton Avenue. (This house address later becomes 3031 WaltonAvenue NW.) They purchased the home from A.R. and Margaret Goodyear. It was located at thesouthwest corner of Walton and West 30th Street.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 885 Page 324 Number 290373 Sum of $4,000 received of August Uehlein the describepremises situated in the City of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga and State of Ohio and knownas east one half of lot number one hundred and thirty eight in Hiram Stone’s Additions towhat was known as being Ohio City now part of the City of Cleveland the same having afrontage on the south side of Walton Avenue of Fifty 50 feet and extending back inparallel lines one hundred and eighty 180 feet according to the maps and records ofCuyahoga County, Ohio be the same more or less….
The Uehlein’s will live at this Walton Avenue home for thirteenyears.
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1904 throughJuly 1905 it showed under Uehlein that he was a Superintendent, but no address. UnderAnhaeusser Malt Tonic it showed the address of 438 Columbus with no name. This directoryreflected his move of residence to 169 Walton Avenue.
On May 29, 1905 August sold more of his Kinsman property. He sold itto the Board of Education, City School District of the City of Cleveland for $3,000.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 982 Page 273 Number 347876
…the following described property situated in the City of Cleveland, County ofCuyahoga and State of Ohio, and known as being pairs of sublots nos twenty three (23) andthe south easterly 10 feet of sublot number twenty two (22) in Charles Leavitts subdivision of part of original 100 acre lots nos. 327 and 330, as shown by the recorded platin Vol 5 of maps, page 31 of Cuyahoga County Records and together being 40 feet front onthe north easterly side of Kinsman Street and extending back of equal with, 160 feet deepbe the same more or less ….
This land was the site for the Kinsman School.
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1905 throughJuly 1906 the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company had no name listed with it. Under Uehlein itdoes not show any business information. In the year 1906 many named streets becamenumbered streets and the house numbers changed to a more orderly pattern. August Uehlein’shouse number on Walton Avenue changed from 169 Walton Avenue to 3031 Walton Avenue SW inthis directory.
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1906 throughJuly 1907 under Uehlein it showed that August was the Manager of the Anhaeusser Malt TonicCo. Since it was during this time that the street names and numbers changed, the newaddress for the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic and Bottling Works was now 2230 Columbus Road SW.His residence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1907 throughJuly 1908 the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic and Bottling Works was not listed under Anhaeusser.Under Uehlein it was listed that he was with the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company. Hisresidence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1908 throughJuly 1909 under Uehlein it mentioned that he was with the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Co. Underthe Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company it had the name August Uehlein. His residence was shownas 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
On August 30, 1909, August sold part of his Walton property to a F.W. Geiger for $1.00 and other valuable considerations. Cuyahoga County Land Deeds Volume1240, Page 41, Number 492888 …the describe premises situated in the City of Cleveland,County of Cuyahoga and State of Ohio and known as east one half of lot number 138 in HiramStones Additions to what was known as being Ohio City now part of the City of Clevelandthe same having a frontage on the south side of Walton Avenue of 50 feet and extendingback in parallel lines one hundred and eighty 180 feet according to the maps and recordsof Cuyahoga County Ohio be the same more or less….
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1909 throughJuly 1910 under Uehlein it stated August as Foreman. Under Anhaeusser Malt Tonic it justshowed the address, no name. His residence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
On September 27, 1910 F.W. Geiger sold the Walton property back toAnna Maria and Mathilda Uehlein.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 1485, Page 583, Number 682933
F.W. Geiger to Anna M. Uehlein and Mathilda Uehlein
…for the consideration of one dollar ($1.00)… the following describedpremises…being the east one half of lot No. 138 in Hiram Stones Addition…having afrontage on the south side of Walton Avenue of 50 feet and extending back of parallellines one hundred and eight (180) feet according to the maps and records of CuyahogaCounty…
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1910 throughJuly 1911 under Uehlein it showed no business information. Under the Anhaeusser MaltTonic, it showed August Uehlein’s name. His residence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
On June 27, 1911 August Uehlein sold the rest of the Kinsmanproperty to Mathilda and Anna Uehlein for the consideration of $10.00.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 1339, Page 636, Number 569583
…the following described property situated in the City of Cleveland, County ofCuyahoga and State of Ohio, and known as being sublots No. 20 and the north westerly 10feet from front to rear of sublot No 21 in Charles Leavitts sub division of part oforiginal 100 acre lots nos. 327 and 330, as shown by the recorded plat in Vol 5 or maps,page 31 of Cuyahoga County Records and together forming a parcel of land 40 feet front onthe north easterly side of Kinsman Road and extending back of equal width 160 feet deep toa 16 foot alley in the rear, be the same more or less …
From the City Directory covering the period of August 1911 throughJuly 1912 under Anhaeusser Malt Tonic it showed August Uehlein’s name. Under Uehlein itshowed the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic. It must be around this time August dissolves theAnhaeusser Bottling and Malt Tonic Company. August was 66 years old in September 1912.This was the last year the Anhaeusser Malt Tonic Company was listed in the City Directory.His residence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1912 through July1913 under Uehlein it showed no business and there was no Anhaeusser Malt Tonic listed.His residence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1913 through July1914 under Uehlein it showed he was a distiller?? (diestr). CHECK ABBREVIATION. Hisresidence was shown as 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
August Uehlein’s Retirement /Non-Business Years
Plus Additional Information
In the City Directory for the period of August 1914 through July1915 there was no business information listed under Uehlein. His residence was shown as3031 Walton Avenue SW.
On June 10, 1914 August’s daughter Mathilda Uehlein married NicholasWirtz. Mathilda and Nicholas moved to a rented home at 10224 Joan Avenue.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1915 through July1916 there was no business information listed under Uehlein. His residence was shown as3031 Walton Avenue SW. In this directory Anna Uehlein was listed for the first and onlytime. It showed she lived at the same address as August at 3031 Walton Avenue SW.
On September 4, 1915 Nicholas and Mathilda Wirtz bought the propertyon West Boulevard from Emma Partenfelder for $500.00.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 1711, Page 479, Number 788471
… known as being part of sublot No. fifteen hundred ninety eight (1598) in the LorainStreet and Denison Avenue Land Co.’s re-subdivision of a part of said Company’s formersubdivision of part of original Brooklyn Township lots nos. 6 and 7 as shown by therecorded plat of said re-subdivision in Volume 34 of maps page 23 of Cuyahoga CountyRecords.
Said part of sublot no 1598 has a frontage of sixty-three 75/100feet on the easterly side of West Boulevard and extends back one hundred thirty five98/100 (135.98) feet on the northerly side one hundred fifty seven 31/100 (157.31) feet onthe southerly side and is sixty (60) feet wide in the rear…. are free and clear of allencumbrances except a mortgage for $1,235.00 to the Society for Savings on which there isa balance owing of $400.00 which said grantees assume and agree to pay. Also taxes andassessments for the last half of 1914 and thereafter which said grantees assume and agreeto pay. This was the property that Nicholas and Mathilda Wirtz and John and Anna Wirtzbuilt a side by side duplex home designed and built by Bernard H. Becks.
On July 20, 1916 Mathilda Uehlein Wirtz and Anna Marie Uehlein soldtheir share of the Walton Avenue property to a Mr. Carl Lempke.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 1817, Page 461, Number 654143
That we, Mathilda Wirtz, (formerly Mathilda Uehlein) and Nicholas Wirtz, husband andwife, and Anna M. Uehlein, unmarried… for the consideration of Ten Dollars ($10.00)received to our full satisfaction of Carl Lempke and Mimie Lempke….the followingdescribed premises known as being the east one half of lot No. 138 in Hiram Stone’sAddition to what was known as being Ohio City, now part of the City of Cleveland. The samehaving a frontage on the south side of Walton Avenue of 50 feet, and extending back ofparallel lines 180 feet, according to the maps and records of Cuyahoga County, Ohio Volume1, Pages 41 and 42… Free from all encumbrances except taxes and assessments for 1916 andthereafter which the grantee assumes and agrees to pay….
On August 8, 1916 August’s daughter Anna Maria Uehlein married JohnWirtz. Nicholas Wirtz and John Wirtz were brothers.
The City Directory for the period of August 1916 through July 1917showed no business occupation for August. It showed he was residing at 3031 Walton AvenueSW. However, it does not reflect that in August 1916 the duplex Wirtz home at 3315-3317West Boulevard was completed. Mathilda and Nicholas Wirtz moved in on the 3315 side andAnna and John Wirtz moved in on the 3317 side. August Uehlein moved in on his daughterAnna Wirtz side of the home. August will live there for five years.
On December 19, 1916 Nicholas and Mathilda Wirtz signed over half ofthe interest in the West Boulevard property to John A. and Anna Wirtz.
Cuyahoga County Land Deeds
Volume 1875, Page 407, Number 885972
That we, Nicholas and Mathilda Wirtz, husband and wife, the grantor’s for theconsideration of Ten Dollars ($10.00) and other valuable considerations received to ourfull satisfaction of John A. Wirtz and Anna Marie Wirtz, an undivided half interest in thefollowing described property. part of sublot No. fifteen hundred ninety eight (1598) inthe Lorain Street and Denison Avenue Land Co’s re-subdivision of a part of said Company’sformer subdivision of part of original Brooklyn Township lots nos. 6 and 7 as shown by therecorded plat of said re-subdivision in Volume 34 of maps page 23 of Cuyahoga CountyRecords.
Said part of sublot no 1598 has a frontage of sixty-three 75/100 feet on the easterlyside of West Boulevard and extends back one hundred thirty five 98/100 (135.98) feet onthe northerly side one hundred fifty seven 31/100 (157.31) feet on the southerly side andis sixty (60) feet wide in the rear…
In the City Directory for the period of August 1917 through July1918 it reflected August Uehlein’s move to 3317 West Boulevard. There was no businessinformation on him.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1918 through July1919 it showed August resided at 3317 West Boulevard. There was no business information.
In May 1919 statewide prohibition took effect.
In the City Directory for the period of August 1919 through July1920 it showed August as a Brewer. He resided at the 3317 West Boulevard address. In theCity Directory for the period of August 1920 through July 1921 it showed August resided at3317 West Boulevard with no business information.
On August 1, 1921 at 9:40 p.m., at the age of 74 years, 10 mo., 2days – 54 days before his 75th birthday, August Uehlein died of a Stroke in Cleveland,Ohio.
On August 4, 1921 August Uehlein was buried at St. Joseph Cemeteryin Cleveland, Ohio.
On March 9, 1928 the remains of August Uehlein, his wife ElisabethColombara Uehlein and her brother John Colombara are transferred to Calvary Cemetery,Section 30, Lot 1022, Grave 1 Revised: January 11, 2000
Written By: Mary Lou Traffis, 4503 West 223rd Street, Fairview Park, Ohio 44126,440-734-4471
ADDITIONAL UEHLEIN FAMILY INFORMATION FOUND BUT NOT RELATED:
In City Directory for the period of August 1905 through July 1906 itshowed for the first time a man by the name of William Uehlein. So far we have noinformation that he was related to us. He lived at 4 Cowan (which was an old form of theaddress). His occupation was that of a Brakeman. In the City Directory for the period ofAugust 1906 through July 1907 it showed he lived at 2425 West 15th Street. It does notgive any detail as his occupation. In the City Directory for the period of August 1907through July 1908 it showed William B. Uehlein’s occupation was a motorman and that heresided at 3866 West 16th Street SW.
The Ühlein family originated from Trennfurt, am Main, Germany.Trennfurt is located in the Main Valley. It is on the west side of the Main River betweenthe larger cities of Achaffenburg on the north and Miltenberg on the south. It is locatedacross the River from Klingenberg am Main.
The Uihlein family of the Schlitz Brewing Company originated fromTrennfurt, Am Main, Germany. Then Josef Benedikt married in Miltenberg and relocated toWertheim.
Wertheim is located east of Trennfurt and Klingenberg, on the southside of the Main River.
Miltenberg is south of Trennfurt and Klingenberg. It is located onthe south side of the Main River as it is turning east. See Exhibit 1 Map.
The Uehlein family married into the Ebert family of Klingenberg.Klingenberg is located across the Main River from Trennfurt. See Exhibit 1 Map.
Würzburg, Germany is located on the Main River, at the samelongitude as Trennfurt, however, very east of Trennfurt. It is east of Wertheim, Germany.
THE ÜHLEIN NAME
In researching the Ühlein name, I have found the surname spelled asÜhlein, Uehlein, Uihlein and Ühlin. Each of these names tend to be connected. InAmerica, the name whether spelled UE or UI is pronounced E-line. In Germany the name ispronounce with a deep UH sound.
On my Grandmothers, Mathilda Uehlein, German school papers shespelled the name Ühlein, the U having the two dot umlaut. On her American papers it wasspelled Uehlein. Since the American language has no umlauts, it is said that one wouldsubstitute either the vowel “e” or “I” as the umlaut.
In contacting, Friedrich Lehmkühler of Wertheim, Germany, the ChiefEditor of the Wertheim newspaper, the “Wertheim und Umgebung” along with being agenealogist and publisher on many Uihlein documents, I asked him for history regarding theÜhlein/Uehlein name. This is his reply of November 1995:
The name Ühlein is derived from the first name Ulrich and Ulrichmeans the same as the old Germanic name “Uodalrich” or “Odalrik”.”Odal” means inheritance, and “rik” or “rich” means mightyor ruler, sovereign. The syllable “lein” stands for a diminutive. So,Ühlein isa “little Ulrich”. The form of this name is Alemannic. The oldest villagesaround Wertheim are Bettingen, Dertingen, Uettingen, etc. The ending of these names isalso Alemannic. The Alemanns have been here from about the year 450 until about 600 or700. Then they went south, and the Franconians followed on. Today they live in the BlackForest, in northern Switzerland and in the German speaking Alscace region in France.Therefore, I suppose the name Ühlein is very old.
(Note: We are not affiliatedwith the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. or endorsed by them. Any Schlitz trademarks displayed,or brands mentioned are the sole ownership of the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co.)